Your browser does not support the HTML5 canvas tag.

17 August, 2015

Mediterranean endless grave: Another 40 dead

At least 40 migrants died off the Libyan coast in the Mediterranean sea on Saturday in a fishing boat in which they were travelling before they reached the European shore, the Italian navy said. As many as 312 migrants, including three minors and 45 women, were rescued when found on an overcrowded fishing ship some 21 miles off Libya. But dozens were recovered dead in the hold, likely after inhaling the exhaust gas on the boat.”

The fresh disaster happened just days after 25 migrants drowned and some other 200 were feared to have died after their boat capsized also off the Libyan coast with hundreds of people onboard.”

Since the beginning of this year, 103,000 sea migrants have landed in southern Italy, around 1,000 less compared to the same period last year, Alfano told a press conference on Saturday. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said earlier this week that the number of migrants who have arrived in Europe so far in 2015 is fast approaching the 250,000 mark. This compares to 2014 figures which show that 219,000 migrants arrived in Europe over the course of the whole year, meaning that 2015 arrivals have already surpassed 2014 total arrivals. The Channel of Sicily, in southern Italy, is a particularly dangerous route, yet IOM revealed that around 102,000 migrants have braved the passage from Libya to reach Italy so far this year.”

According to the migration agency's Missing Migrants Project, at least 2,300 people have lost their lives while attempting to reach European shores. Among them, there were several children.”

No comments:

Post a Comment